Friday, September 15, 2006

College Football Goin' Seeker-Friendly

A rule change is trying to make college football games shorter. The clock is starting on the ref's signal, and not the snap of the ball, at changes of possession. The clock starts now when the kicker kicks the ball, and not when the returner catches it. This is all in an effort to make games shorter.

This sounds similar to what many say today in modern evangelicalism-- shorten the service, cut the sermon, axe long Scripture readings-- otherwise seekers will leave. This reminds me of some words from John MacArthur that I quoted in a sermon I gave recently.

"If you are going to be a Bible expositor, forget the twenty- and thirty- minute sermons. You are looking at forty or fifty minutes. In any less than that, you can’t exposit the Scripture. The purpose of a sermon is not to get it over, but rather to explain the word of God. My goal is not accomplished because I am brief. My goal is accomplished when I am clear and I have exposited the word of God."

MacArthur sounds a lot like Texas Tech coach Mike Leach:

"I think they’re really on to something here. I think what they ought to do is limit both teams to 20 plays. Then they’d really get over quickly. Then everybody can go out and tailgate."

What about the people that just love football... or Jesus?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home