Friday, December 23, 2005

5th Downs and the Baby Jesus

Just about an hour ago, I watched ESPN's SportsCenter and saw the "top ten sports gifts" of all time. Number five, I believe, was Colorado's infamous "fifth down," given to them in 1990's matchup in Columbia against the Tigers. For those that have forgotten, Mizzou had Colorado stopped at the one yard line, and the refs mistakenly gave the Buffaloes another shot, a fifth down. On that extra down, they were awarded a touchdown, although video replays and still shot photographs clearly showed that the Colorado player was stopped short of the goal line.

I was on the sideline on that day. In fact, I can be seen anytime you see a replay of those last few plays. I am the guy in the pink shirt (I'm embarrassed to say) who jumps up and down when we stopped him on down five. I was working as a volunteer for the sports information department in that, my freshman year. I got to stand on the sidelines, acting as a liason between the trainers and the press box. Basically, I helped keep the radio team up-to-speed on injury conditions on the Missouri sideline.

They got an extra down. They didn't score on the extra down. Colorado got a gift. Missouri got robbed. Growing up as a coach's son, I have struggled off and on throughout my days with making sports an idol. God has taught me over the years (particularly as a Mizzou fan) that football (and basketball) can't satisfy. In fact, nothing in this world can satisfy-- money, fame, women, education, and the list goes on. What are your idols? What do you get excited about? Things of this earth will leave you disappointed, much like the 60,000 fans were on October 7, 1990.

C.S. Lewis once said, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." He was right. Don't celebrate things that will disappoint. Celebrate the baby Jesus this December, the child who would grow up to defeat His enemies and reign forever with his people. Be one of those people that will be with him in that "other world." There will be an end to fifth downs there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home