Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Indelible Grace IV: A Review

I recently received Indelible Grace's fourth album, Beams of Heaven, in the mail, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. From time to time on this blog, I want to share some of my favorite albums with you. This is definitely one of them.

For those of you unfamiliar with Indelible Grace, the ministry began in Christ Community Church of Nashville. Kevin Twit, the church's college minister (R.U.F.) at nearby Belmont University, had a vision of taking old hymns and wedding them with modern tunes. His first album, entitled Indelible Grace, has been followed by Pilgrim Days, For All the Saints, and our current disc of discussion, Beams of Heaven. Each disc features songs of rich, God-centered lyrics with ultra-cool tunes. On each album, Twit plays most of the guitars, but he utilizes a wealth of young Nashville talent-- from his college students and from some of the city's brightest young stars. Derek Webb, Sandra McCracken, Andrew Osenga, and Dan Haseltine have been featured on one or more of the Indelible Grace albums.

"Come and Welcome," (Thomas Haweis) features new music by Matthew Perryman Jones. He also performs the track. This is an energetic song, perfect for a "call to worship," not only for its lyrical content, but also for its driving, joyful melody. This is a powerful proclamation of the gospel accompanied by a passionate call for believers to flee to Christ.

"More Love to Thee" (Elizabeth Prentiss) is a Twit tune performed by his right hand man, Matthew Smith, on the disc. This song, like the first clip, and like most on the CD, is peppy. Unlike most modern worship, however, the lyrics aren't goofy. "More Love" is a great congregational prayer put to music.

"I Asked The Lord" (John Newton) is performed by Emily Deloach. Laura Taylor authored the music. Newton's lyrics are amazing. He works from a man's prayer for growth in Christ to Christ humbling him through trials to that man seeing those tribulations as means to his sanctification. The tune is nice. The lyrics are stellar. How well this would function as a congregational number, I'm not quite sure.

Derek Webb of Caedmon's Call fame sings "His Love Can Never Fail," a tune written by Christopher Miner (E.S. Hall). I'm biased toward Webb, I know, but this song rocks! And talk about a "God-centered" tune! It's all about God-- about how our walk as Christians depends upon His love and not our effort.

"Who Is This?" (William How) is another Miner rewrite sung by Sandra McCracken. I am one to think that she sings much like the angelic hosts. The song she sings is pretty great, as well. The song moves from the humble birth of Christ to the humiliating death of our Lord. But it doesn't just focus on the morbid. It speaks also of Christ's victory.

Who is this that hangs there dying while the rude world scoffs and scorns?
Numbered with the malefactors, torn with nails, and crowned with thorns?
'Tis our God who lives forever, mid the shining ones on high,
In the glorious golden city, reigning everlastingly.

"Jesus, Lover of My Soul" (Charles Wesley) is retuned by Greg Thompson and is performed by Matthew Perryman Jones. This is one rewrite of the classic that I really like. The second part of each verse does a great job of taking the worshipper upward musically.

A guy I had never heard of, Tyler Sorensen, rocks out on "Lead On, O King Eternal" (Ernest Shurtleff), a song rewritten by Jeff Pardo. Sorenson reminds me of Bono. This song, if performed like the CD, would freak out your grandparents, but hopefully they would appreciate the lyrics. Wow.

"Begone Unbelief" (John Newton) is another tune by Twit. Jason Feller sings it. This is not my favorite on the album, but let me say that my least favorite Indelible Grace tune is much preferred over any modern Maranatha recording, so don't let that make you skip this track on your CD player.

Rachel Briggs sings her new tune on "Come Ye Disconsolate" (Thomas More). I like this song much, but I'm not sure how singable it would be at the congregational level. I buy the IG CDs primarily for church singing. Not sure how this one would fly.

"Father, Long Before Creation" (Chinese hymn translated by Francis Jones) is sung by Matthew Smith. Its tune was penned by Caedmon's Call's Andrew Osenga. This is perhaps my favorite. And it's my 2-year old son Hadley's favorite, too. He angrily mumbles the title (or something like it) each time the song ends, not-so-politely requesting that we play it again.

"To Christ The Lord" (Samuel Stennett) is sung and penned by Laura Taylor. This is truly beautiful-- her voice, the tune, and the lyrics. I can't wait to sing this one with my church.

Osenga sings track 12, "Lift Up Thy Bleeding Hand," a tune he wrote (Cecil Alexander). This tune focuses on the death of Christ. It has a Caedmon's feel. It seems very singable.

Jeremy Casella sings "Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah" (William Williams). He also wrote the tune. This is nice, but not my favorite on the album (see comment on track 8).

McCracken sings "Jesus The Lord My Savior Is" (William Gadsby). I love her voice, as I already mentioned. The "bridge" on this song is musically great. It really functions in the song like a chorus, or at least it should.

The final track, "Beams of Heaven," is performed by Dan Haseltine of Jars of Clay. This is a Charles Tindley song retuned by Christopher Miner. I like Haseltine's voice. He makes every song sound like a Jars song (big surprise). This song is nice but seems like it would be difficult to do congregationally.

Well, as you can see, my reviews of each song are getting shorter as this white boy grows weary. Bottom line: buy the album. In a world of CCM, "me-centered" tunes, Indelible Grace offers God-centered, gospel-focused songs put to great music. Plant team, buy this or my wrath will fall on you. :) Buy it here.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Eric S. said...

I just got this CD for Christmas, but I haven't taken it out of the plastic yet. I also got Sandra McCraken's new CD--it's amazing.

Plant team--get that CD too or...just get it! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home